FREO PUREE Mashed potatoes with lemon and onions.
It’s a perfect potato pairing for fish or chicken and this side course is usually eaten long before the main course it was intended to support!
1kg potatoes or 6 potatoes, peeled
0.5 cup olive oil
2 small or 1 big onion, finely chopped
1/2 small diced, and pitted lemon (as thin-skinned as you can find) or if you prefer a lighter version 2tsp of zests.
Salt & Freshly ground black pepper
4 tbp unsalted butter
2 teaspoons lemon juice.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot, cover by at least 1inch with cold salted water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and cook the potatoes uncovered until tender, about 20/25 minutes.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a saucepan over moderately high heat.
- Add onion and cook in low heat just until translucent and a little bit brown about 10mm.
- Add lemons (leaving the peel on) or the zests.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lemon peel begins to turn golden, about 7 mm.
- Drain the potatoes and while still warm, place in a large saucepan and mash with a potato masher.
- Heat the potatoes over low heat and gradually whisk in the butter until fully melted.
- Slowly whisk in ¼ cup olive oil.
- Add the lemons and onion to the potatoes and whisk together until fully incorporated and evenly distributed through the mashed potatoes.
- Correct the seasoning.
- Immediately before serving, drizzle the potatoes with 1 tablesp/ olive oil and the lemon juice.
You can serve immediately or you can put the mixture into a baking dish, sprinkle with grated cheese and bake in the oven at low temperature (170) on grill mode until the cheese is brown and you are ready to serve.
you can cook this recipe with the lemon juice and the zests only as the lemon pieces can be, sometime, overwhelming :)