Sausages and Lentils
For 4 to 6 people
A one-pot hearty stew to share with friends and family during winter.
It is an easy recipe, cheap and a delicious way to add protein and fibre to your meals.
1tbsp olive oil
300 g brown lentils or Puy Lentils
2 onions roughly chopped
2 clove garlic chopped
2 carrots chopped into small rings.
1 leek finely diced (optional)
1 branch of celeri
3 sausages of your choice (Polish sausage, Italian sausage, Morteaux etc…)
250ml red wine
1 bouquet garni
3 tbsp chopped flatleaf parsley
Salt and Pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large casserole or very large sauce pan with a lid.
2. Add the onions, carrot, leek and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes until the onions soften.
3. Add lentils, then the wine. Cover with water then season with salt and pepper.
4. Add the sausages chopped in big pieces.
5. Bring to the boil and simmer rapidly for 5 minutes, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring every so often until the lentils are tender.
6. Check the seasoning, scatter over the parsley and serve from the pan with mustard sauce or “Dijonnaise”
It can be chilled and frozen for up to 1 month.