I have learned this recipe when visiting very good friends living in Paris twenty years ago and never stopped cooking it. J'adore, its simple, not too expensive and very filling, perfect for winter.
- 2 medium whole smoked kippers, (Or any 2 smoked fish you can find at the fishmonger or shops)
- Cut off the head, the central bone then the skin as much as you can.
- If you can’t take off the bones, don’t worry it will be easy to eat as the bones and skin have softened during the smoking preparation.
- Or….you can use already filleted smoked fish J
- 1 big or 2 small skinless tomatoes tin.
- Approx. 400g fresh Akra or frozen, cuted in 2cm slices.
- 500g frozen spinach or 1kg of fresh spinach.
- 2 onions sliced in small pieces.
- 2 teaspoons of hot paprika or smoked paprika.
- 3 teaspoons of soya sauce.
- 2 soupspoons of olive oil.
- Salt and pepper.
- 350g of semolina.
- In a big heavy pan add the oil and trow in the onions.
- On medium heat let it cook for 5/4 minutes until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes then paprika, soya, salt and pepper.
- Still on medium heat cook for several minutes then
- Add the spinach, Akras and let it cook 30 minutes until it is hot.
- Add the smoked fish sliced onto big parts.
- On low heat let it summer for 20 minutes.
When it is done prepare the Fufu
- In a big pan, boil 500ml of water.
- Pour in the semolina in a steady stream and stir continuously with a wooden spatula.
- Place the saucepan back on medium heat.
- Whisk intensively until it starts to solidify. It has started to cook.
- Turn and press continuously until the texture is not too hard or too solft.
- Add more semolina if it is too liquid.
It’s divine !!