6 Tablespoons all purpose flour
6 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
6 Tablespoons finely ground blanched almonds
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened.
3 Tablespoons butter
5 large apples peeled, cored, quartered and cut into 1/2inch cubes
1 Pastry tart base
2 cups of Blackberries
Note : the pastry and the topping are baked together
Prepare the topping :
In a bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, ground almonds and work the mixture together with your fingers.
Add the butter and continue working the mixture for several minutes until it is very crumbly and the butter is thoroughly blended. Set aside to rest for 20mins to firm up.
Preheat the oven to 180/200C
Prepare the filling :
- In a large pan, heat the butter over high heat.
- When hot, add the apples and cook until soft, about 15 mins.
- Stir often to ensure an even golden brown colour.
- The apple mixture should be moist but not soupy. If there is too much liquid, transfer the mixture to a fine-mesh to drain off the excess.
- Arrange the apples evenly on top of the pastry and level them with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Display the blackberry over the apples.
- Sprinkle with the topping, pressing down gently with your fingers to shape a perfectly even layer.
- Place the tart in the oven and bake until golden brown, 30 to 40 mins.
- Serve warm with Vanilla Ice cream.
- You can replace the blackberries by Black currants.