for 4-6 people
2 medium onions, peeled and roughly chopped
3 big potatoes peeled and roughly chopped
3 carrots peeled and roughly chopped
2 medium turnip peeled and chopped
2 small/medium leeks clean and chopped.
2 Zucchinis peeled and sliced
3 Tomatoes – quarter the tomatoes, removing any stalks
Salt and pepper
- Heat the butter gently in a large saucepan
- Add all the chopped vegetables and mix together with a wooden spoon
- Stir around to coat everything in the butter
- Sweat very gently for 10 minutes
- Add 1.5 litres of water.
- Add Garlic, bouquet garni, tomato paste
- Don’t season
- Bring up to the boil and then simmer gently for about 20 minutes
- Check the level of water, the vegetables must freely float
- if not, add a bit of water.
- Check if the vegetables are tender.
- Take out the bouquet garni
- Liquidise or use a hand blender
- Add the pepper (the salt will be added individually when the soup is served into serving bowls)
If you like your soup a little less creamy, you can take out half of it before liquidise it, than stir it back into the pan.