Spiced Lamb Shanks
You cook it until they are just falling apart. Just to think about it and I have the incredible flavours in my mind, on my lips…
For 4 gourmets
Preparation : 15 minutes
Cooking time : – 2 hours to 2.30h
4 lamb shanks, trimmed
4-6 tablespoons olive Oil
8 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
2 medium onions peeled and finely chopped
350 ml red wine
500 ml vegetable or chicken stock or both
2 tbsp of Balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp of Tomato paste
a hand full of pitted prunes
a hand full of almonds.
1 tbsp Taragon
1 tbsp Cayenne pepper or 1 small dried red chili
1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
1 tbsp Tumeric
1 bay leaf
2 springs of fresh thyme
1 springs of fresh rosemary
A small bouquet flat parsley
A small bouquet of coriander ( if not available, ground coriander will do)
Salt and Pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
- The saucepan needs to be large enough to accommodate the shanks in a single layer.
- Sear the shanks in the hot oil until well browned on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Return the pan to medium heat and add the sliced onions and garlic until soften.(3minutes)
- Season with all the spices.
- Pour in the red wine, the stock, the balsamic vinegar and the tomato paste.
- Add sea salt and quite a lot of pepper.
- Return the shanks to the saucepan.
- Cover the pan with its lid and bring the mixture to the boil.
- Then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 2 hours.
- Every ½ hour turn the shanks.
- After the two hours add the prunes and almonds.
- Let simmer ¼ to ½ hour more or until the meat is very tender.
If the sauce is too liquid, remove the lamb shanks from the pan, increase heat to high and bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat and uncovered, stirring occasionally, let the sauce thicken to the desired consistency.
Harmonize the salt and pepper level.
The recipe can be cooked in advance and needs to be re-heated when the time comes.
I serve this absolutely delicious winter recipe with a simple creamy mashed potatoes /puree (link) and a glass of Pinot noir.
Bon appetit !!