1 kilo pumpkin flesh diced ( I often mix two kind of pumpkins)
2 medium onions diced
300 ml creme fraiche
A small bouquet of flat parsley.
Salt and Pepper
Garlic croutons (optional)
- In a big saucepan combine the butter and the onions with a pinch of salt.
- Cover and cook until translucent, do not allow them to brown.
- Then add the diced pumpkin flesh and the stock.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and cook for 15/18 minutes.
- After cooking , with a wandlike hand blender or immersion mixer, process the soup until smooth.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in 3 tablespoons of water.
- Remove the pot from the heat and quickly whisk in the cornstarch and add the cream.
- While constantly stirring, be sure to scrape the bottom of the pan as pumpkin burns easily.
- Allow the soup to boil again for few seconds.
- The result should be a velvety, creamy consistency soup.
- Taste the soup and season. I don’t recommend to add salt while cooking, since the seasoning from the chicken stock will usually suffice.
Serve very hot with the chopped parsley and sliced garlic croutons if you wish.